|Articles To help Project Leaders
Latest Blog Entries
Category: what are they thinking
Why bother? (aka, Observations from my sarcastic side)
1. I was just informed that my long distance calling plan now includes free calls to Iceland. Yippee! I can't imagine how many people are thrilled at this news. With the population differenc, potentially 300 Million people in the US can now call 320,000 people in Iceland, for free. In other words - why bother?
2. Down at my preferred venue for sadomasochistic expression (aka my local gym), many of the TV screens have non-stop commercials showing you how to get ripped, lose weight and attract the opposite sex in just 25 minutes a day. Why, in any logical argument would you advertise a product on TV that has a zero success rate of weight loss, to people who are in the gym and doing what it takes to lose the weight? This is like advertising fast food in a health store - Why bother?
3. My gym gives out free bagels on the second Tuesday morning of each month. Oh Yeah! After I just put my aging body through a workout at 5 AM on a blustery, snowy New England morning, do you really think I want to undo the effort with a zillion calorie bagel? Or is this just "job security" for the gym manager?
Don't you marvel at the brain-dead beings that pass for specimens of homo-sapiens around us? You have to wonder "why are you here?". Literally, figuratively, and metaphorically.
1. When you get to a cashier, at the corporate cafeteria, guess what. You need to pay. Therefore, plan ahead and get your money out of your wallet before you get in line. Did you really think that now is the time to wonder "Where did I put my purse?" Why are you here? To pay, and get out of my way.
2. When you go shopping at A.C.Moore, and insist on trying to save 15 cents with your myriad of coupons, please, please, realize that you are in my way. You are here to get finished and get out of my way. I really don't care if you are an extreme discount clipping queen. Just pony up the 15 cents and move on.
3. Why is it that the coupon clippers are typically 97 pounds overweight? Instead of sitting down to clip all those coupons, why don't you use the time and invest in a good workout? It will reduce the size of your butt and get out of my way at the cash register at the same time, which is a double bonus to society in general. Why are you here? To try and save 15 cents, or contribute to your health and society?
4. Speaking of workouts, I force myself to drag this aging human body down to Planet Fitness as often as possible - which is currently about once a week. Any exercise is better than none, as I drive high-profile, high-pressure IT projects to success with long hours in the office every week. Why am I in the gym at 7 AM on a Saturday morning? Because I can be. No matter how overweight, under developed, or just plain ugly you are, I have utmost respect for my regular fellow exercisees. (I don't care if that isn't a word - I challenge you to "think outside the box"). It takes dedication to haul your body away from the job and invest in your health, week after week, without immediate results. I salute you.
With these perspectives, ask yourself. Why are you here?
Oxymoronic, or just moronic? If Reema A is such an SEO expert, then why send a spam email to me advertising SEO expertise? I would be attracted to Reema A if her SEO expertise was effective. (I can't believe than any website owner actually responds to spam emails such as the one I received below. I wonder how Reema A found me? Probably through my listing on google. Perhaps Delta Airlines has a job for Reema A - she appears qualified).
Respected Website Owner,
Just for information google has updated its algorithm 5 times in last month and these changes can result in bad rankings for your website. To prevent your website getting effected by all these new updates coming from google it has to be handled by professional SEO Experts who understand how these algo updates work and how they will effect your website.
This is Reema A working as a seo professional for last 5 years for our company TOB. We rank number 1 for one of the most competitive keyword 'online seo company', if we can rank ours we can rank yours.
We are working with 1000+ website owners and all enjoy top 10 google ranks. We have client retention rate of 95% in last one year and we are one of those few SEO companies that have helped their clients go through all recent google updates with ease.
Email us back if you would like us to rank your website on major search engines like google, bing and yahoo. We offer a no cost 15 days trial to start with so that you can experience the service before you start paying for it. There are no set up fee, no long term contract.
Try our 15 days free SEO trial and see your websites ranking move up.
Looking ahead for your email
Online SEO Expert ( TOB )
B 7 Green Ave,
ASR - 143001
( if you are no interested in getting these emails from us, please reply back as "no more emails please" in subject)
A TV commercial in the USA shows a guy in various locations checking for cell-phone coverage and asking his partner on the other end of the line "Can you hear me now?" The reality is that Verizon should not about checking for cell-phone coverage, but rather for common sense intelligence.
I am a long-time Verizon customer. Therefore, I was disturbed today from multi-tasking craziness as I recover from a computer failure with the following phone call on my home phone which is not a Verizon phone:
Hello "This is Wayne Botha"
"Hello? This is Wayne Botha"
Eventually, someone mumbles something like "Hi - this is Samuel something-or-other" "Thank you for being a long-term customer of Verizon. We are conducting an analysis of customer accounts and would like to ask you some questions about your account - this call will be recorded for training purposes..."
After I tried to get him off the phone politely, I just gave up and hung up.
So, Verizon management, listen up. Let's see if you can hear me now.
1. Why don't you use your own network to call me? You have my cell phone number - I am a long term customer, aren't I? If you can't find my cell phone number, then it is listed at the bottom of my website.
2. Why do you have to call me to ask questions about my account? You already have it - I am a long term customer. If you have a better package for me, then call me with options, not questions.
3. Why are you surprised when I answer the phone? If you call me, then I answer. This is how phone service is supposed to work.
4. Why are you recording a call to your customers? I hope that you use our call today for training. Train your people to be smarter, starting with the executives that put stupid policies in place to call and interrupt busy customers with questions about the customer experience.
5. Next time you call, with proposals and solutions, try to get a good connection. I don't want to struggle to hear what you are saying.
Can you hear me now?
Planet dumbness aka. things that make you wonder how this can be the survival of the fittest...
1. At the gym, people who wear phone earpieces while working out? Who are they calling while grunting and sweating? "Hi, this is Jane Dumb - ugghh - I am just calling to schedule an appointment for --- ugghh --- my therapy session, and --whew! -- would Thursday at 2 PM --- ugghh --- work for you?"
2. People interviewed on TV wearing phone earpieces. Which phone call is so important that it can't wait one minute for a TV sound-byte? "Hi Mom, - I am on with channel three about last night's shooting and impersonating Rudi Guiliana - sorry, what was the question again?"
3. Software that displays a pop-up message to say "Please wait". Why not make the software work faster, and serve me, instead of asking me to schedule life around your stupid software?
|Stunning Success, and silliness - Log for week of 8/11/2012 - 1. The Back East Brewing Company launch party was a huge success yesterday. See attached photo. They make beer, almost as good as mine.|
2. Now I am wondering "How do I fit a 20 barrel fermenter into my basement?" I have added a 20 Barrel B...
|Wayne's Whirlwind Week 8/4/2012. - How has your week been? What do you have to show for being one week older?|
I have had a productive, exciting and steep-learning curve growth week.
1. Since visiting Moonlight Meadery last Saturday, I embarked on a fast-track course to le...
|Vote For Wayne - We are currently bombarded with political rhetoric for upcoming elections. Jumping on the "no-value provided, but vote for me anyway" gravy train, I believe you should vote for Wayne to hold public office. Here is my marketing campaign, tak...
|When We ... - In the 1980's, serving in the South African Defense Force (SADF), I interacted with WhenWe's. WhenWe's were ex-Rhodesian soldiers who had fled south and joined the South African Defence Force. Apparently, in their minds, everything in the S...
|Wayne's World - April 16, 2012 - Random collection of impressions from Wayne's World.|
1. Relay for Life 2012 is gaining momentum. If you would like to donate a bit, and participate, then please go to www.wappingwalkers.com and support our team.
2. North Korea reduced the...
|Amex demonstrates that a customer is worth less than $39 - Update: When I called to close the account, the representative asked why I am closing the account. I told him that it was due to the unreasonable late fee. Then he said "Well, I am sure you have your own reasons for closing the account." I ...
|Counter-intuitive Membership dues increase from PMI. WIIFM? - I was just informed that PMI (Project Management Institute) membership dues are increasing by $10 per year, because the organization has grown membership so much and it costs more to service the larger membership.|
Um! What is the incenti...
|Now why would I want to do that? - 1. I was just offered a radio interview that requires me to pay for. Now why would I want to waste good money for an interview on Talk Radio? When last did a project leader tell me "Wayne, I did not hear your radio interview, and I am devas...
|Winter Storm Alfred - Looking back, one week later - Last Sunday, we awoke to a winter wonderland. Gorgeous views of snow-covered trees. Typical of February in New England. However, it was the aftermath of the historic 2011 October storm - Alfred. I could see that it was like no other storm w...
|Who needs customers anyway? Not iParty. - It is impossible to understand the stupidity of some retailers. |
I am leading the water-sports event for our upcoming church picnic. I need to purchase water balloons for the balloon-toss competition.
I went to my local iParty, just afte...
|Rules of the Road for 2011 - I drove up to the drive-thru ATM, to deposit a check and withdraw cash. What do I find in front of me? A person who drove up, against the flow of traffic, which then put him on the wrong side of the ATM. No problem, he gets out of his truck...
|Windows closed - I maintain and occassionally use Hotmail because I established this email account over 10 years ago and people around the world have it in their address lists.|
On my new netbook, the password is not saved and I enter it each time to maint...